Families come in all shapes and sizes. At Shoffner & Associates our lawyers work with:
* Unmarried heterosexual couples.
* Same-sex couples, both unmarried and married.
* Grandparents, aunts, and uncles raising children.
* Siblings who live together and raise children together.
* Married couples with children from previous marriages, adoption, and surrogate parents.
We celebrate our clients’ diversity and work to meet their particular needs. Our clients include heterosexuals, grandparents, stepparents, adoptive parents, and gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) individuals. We recognize that in many instances laws designed to protect traditional married couples actually penalize those who by choice, or by law, are not married. Nevertheless, we strive to find creative methods to use existing laws to protect our clients and to enforce their rights.
The law concerning non-traditional families and same-sex couples’ rights is in a constant state of flux. We know there is a great deal at stake for each of our clients. We understand the needs of nontraditional and LGBT families and work with them to ensure they have the rights they want and deserve.
Some of the areas where we can help include:
* Estate Planning for your non-traditional family.
o Protecting the family home.
o Protecting custody of the family’s children.
o Protecting the surviving partner in a non-traditional relationship.
o Protecting the rights of non-traditional family members to make medical and financial decisions for each other.
o Minimizing the risk of will contests.
* Having, adopting, or raising children.
* Dissolution of your domestic partnership or divorce.
o Alimony for same sex couples.
o Division of assets.
o Unique issues on child custody; residency, and taxation for same sex couples.